Sunday, January 27, 2013

Does any one know where I can find a sewing pattern like these?

Q. I am going to be making a wool jacket and i would like to add buttons and things to make it stand out. I would like to add buttons going down the back but i think it would look dumb if that back is plain and random buttons going down the middle so does any one know of a good pattern kind of like this coat?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://swingcoat.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/belted-wool-coat.jpg&imgrefurl=http://swingcoat.org/tag/belted-wool-coats/&usg=__VRVZnT2j6uYDHbOQLoOi2aE2SRg=&h=380&w=440&sz=56&hl=en&start=103&zoom=1&tbnid=ztvvTWndSu0DpM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=159&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwool%2Bcoats%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1279%26bih%3D617%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C2376&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=402&vpy=240&dur=967&hovh=209&hovw=242&tx=175&ty=83&ei=k4iFTNr9N8mongeZteXYAQ&oei=iYiFTIbbK5SfnwfJy621Dg&esq=4&page=6&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:103&biw=1279&bih=617

or any patterns like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/100/954/883/o_Pm72Tb1hGxShC8C.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ioffer.com/i/MACKAGE-WOMEN-WOOL-COAT-OUTERWEAR-WHITE-NEW-SIZE-XS-S-M-100954883&usg=__liTJMYGPv6ieut5-XJdbSbaPwdg=&h=580&w=387&sz=134&hl=en&start=12&zoom=1&tbnid=Strpt0PirbdMOM:&tbnh=139&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwool%2Bcoats%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1279%26bih%3D617%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C659&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=313&ei=7IiFTI_aEYPlnAfOkoTxDg&oei=4IiFTJDlDMajnQeaj4W9Dg&esq=5&page=2&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:12&tx=49&ty=53&biw=1279&bih=617

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://s10.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Coffee-Shop-Belted-Wool-Coat_7FAB7109.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thisnext.com/item/8E5B947C/Coffee-Shop-Belted-Wool-Coat&usg=__NgdQvqNJ0UHswnTSBfGUQat_muw=&h=230&w=230&sz=23&hl=en&start=57&zoom=1&tbnid=1uKwZeGGx6RBpM:&tbnh=145&tbnw=144&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwool%2Bcoats%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1279%26bih%3D617%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C1897&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1056&vpy=38&dur=679&hovh=184&hovw=184&tx=141&ty=147&oei=4IiFTJDlDMajnQeaj4W9Dg&esq=7&page=4&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:57&biw=1279&bih=617

A. Buttons down the back would be cool if your hair isn't long enough to catch on them. It's not dumb to put some embellishment on the back. Could look very cool. Now I'm going to look at the pictures and find the sewing terms to describe those coats, and then use those keywords afterward to search for patterns.

The first link (yellow coat) is single-breasted, has front yoke and back yoke, and has NO darts (!). That line of buttons in the back is a real closure just like the front, and it's shaping the back. . .that IS very cool. I'm sure I haven't seen that pattern detail before. No wonder you want to copy it.

The second link (white, off-center buttons) is double-breasted, with shoulder princess seams, back capelet, and I forgot the name for the flaps at the front shoulder. For this, a pattern should be available.

The third link (white, low-slung belt) is built the same as the second link. Again, a pattern should be available.

How can you customize a wool show blanket?
Q. Is there anyplace you can purchase nice wear leathers like from Mayatex or conchos, etc., to dress up your own wool show blanket? I've already spent the money on a nice show blanket, but now wish I could fancy it up a bit. Any ideas?
Thanks! Would the leatherworker, after the piece is tooled (and I suppose could add conchos) then sew it onto the blanket or can you just buy a finished piece and attach it yourself?

A. Find a tackshop with some one who can carve leather or an individual who carves leather and see what can be agreed upon. That's what we do.

I also put custom beadwork on mine

Any proficient leathercraftsman/woman should have no difficulty marking the stitching groove and opening the stitching holes for attachment to the blanket either by the craftsman or yourself.
I do not recommend machine stitching.
They can also provide you with a list materials you'll need for DIY. If you need more info you may e-mail me.

How can I be taken seriously as a woman at the car dealership?
Q. I'm a 27 year old woman but I have a baby face and look about 17. I'm not a car expert, but I want to lease a car soon to be able to travel for jobs. Right now, I don't really know a knowledgeable man to go with me to help out with all the questions & negotiations. I'll try to educate myself on the topic, but what else can I do to be taken seriously and not be cheated??
Thanks for the advice Happy2b!

A. Research is the best advice. I use Consumerreports.com, Edmunds.com, Cars.com and a few others for different info. I like to check out consumer reviews too to help give extra insight into what customers see once they've made their purchases. Just remember to take some of the crazier reviews with a grain of salt like anything else in life.

Don't ever try to purchase a vehicle in a hurry. Me I do lots of research in the weeks before even going to the lots. Once I do go I ask questions, check out features, how I feel inside the vehicle reaching things, etc. I go to different car lots to check out the different things they offer and generally ask the same questions while taking their business cards as a courtesy from the salespeople I feel the most comfortable with. Like others have said it's often best to take a friend to help a little but not always necessary. My wife hates to be around me when I'm in car-buying mode and honestly I prefer doing the whole thing by myself. I do though believe for most people you have a little defense from a rough experience with some salesperson when you have someone with you.

If you have trouble even getting a salesperson to approach you try driving right up to the car(s) you like, get out, check the sticker, try getting in the car, dart over to the next car and act like you know exactly what you are looking for from car to car. Give the look that you are really zeroing in on the exact thing you want, that you are doing more than just looking. Salespeople can spot this body language and will be motivated to run your way to make the sale.

When interacting with the salesperson (and especially their manager and / or finance person during negotiations) always project the attitude that you've done your homework and really know what you want. "Run" the entire conversation yourself. Don't ever let them run the process. Make yourself the boss through the whole thing always changing gears on the discussion and that you have reasons behind your thoughts. Good eye contact, being tactful and to the point are important here. This doesn't mean being rude in fact once I feel like they understand I'm running the show I start to make small jokes or lighten up to show I'm not totally irrational. Just remember to stay in control of the situation. If you lose this, excuse yourself, maybe say you need to go home to get papers with info you jotted down to help with your decision then return later and try again.

Also, they like to get info on you-no problem, they are hungry and don't ever like people leaving the lot. Just don't let them have any more than contact info. Some like to get SS#s, financial info, etc. so they can run credit checks on you. There is no reason for them to do this UNTIL you are seriously about to purchase the car. Be careful here.

Once you have things narrowed down to one or two cars, check out rates at your local banks and get preapproved at the bank with the best terms for you. Dealerships may be able to do better but if they can't you already have "cash" coming into the situation and less area for them to pull the wool over your eyes. Again this shows you know your stuff! There are many more great tips and articles on car buying at the above sites. Research, visit lots, test drive a few things, and above all-take your time. I prefer doing most of my car buying work on Saturdays and often leave the dealers "hungry" by the end of the day with still no sale. I'm not in any hurry and even plan to not have a deal for a few weeks. The truely hungry salespeople will respect you for this and you will most likely get the best deal approaching things this way. Again, I'm not in any way saying to be rude to anyone during this process but be well armed as this process can be very overwhelming to the average person.



Powered By Y! Answer

No comments:

Post a Comment